The ultimate book on electronic music instruments.
Meet the artists, designers, makers and their instruments and see how they have shaped the world of electronic music.
Overall chapters and structure
- Foreword by electronic music pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre
- Sound: How is sound visualized in music soft- and hardware?
- Control: How can you shape sound through tangible and digital controls? Learn about different controls (knobs, faders, touch strips, buttons, screens etc.) and their variations and possibilities.
- Layout: How do you organize an interface for sound-creation? Get an overview of design principles and techniques for designing interfaces of electronic music instruments and controllers.
- Concept: How has different instrument-makers solved the challenges of visualizing and controlling sound? See examples of hardware, software, apps etc. of Digital Audio Workstations, Grid-based sequencing, Modular Synthesizers, Collaborative tools, Radial, Gestural interfaces etc.
- User: How do you design the best possible experience for musicians? Learn about user-centered interface design, usability, workflows, experience design etc.
- Time: How did we get to where we are? Read about the evolution and revolutions of electronic music interfaces - from the Theremin and EMS VCS3 to Buchla, the Minimoog, TB303, Yamaha Tenori-On, Monome, Ableton Live and various other hard- and software that have shaped electronic music making through the times.
PUSH TURN MOVE is written by Danish designer, author, lecturer and electronic musician Kim Bjørn and edited by Mike Metlay, editor at Recording Magazine and Paul Nagle, reviewer at Sound on Sound Magazine.
Meet the makers, artists, and designers
- Dave Smith, Dave Smith Instruments, legendary synth-maker.
- Suzanne Ciani, Buchla artist and electronic music pioneer.
- Roger Linn, Roger Linn Design, legendary maker of the Linndrum, MPC-grid, Linnstrument and others.
- Keith McMillen, Keith McMillen Instruments.
- Jordan Rudess, Artist, Keyboard player in Dream Theater, Founder of Wizdom Music (GeoShred and other iPad apps).
- Richard Devine, Notable sound designer, and modular artist.
- Olivier Gillet, Mutable Instruments (Eurorack Format Synthesizer Modules).
- Ean Golden, DJ, and controllerist, founder of DJ TechTools and designer of several DJ-related products.
- Ableton: Gerhard Behles, CEO, and Founder. Ed Macovaz, Head of Design. Jesse Terry, Push Product Owner.
- Brian Crabtree, Founder of Monome - iconic grid-based controllers and now also Eurorack products.
- Moldover, Artist and controllerist, originator of several controllers and collaborative instruments.
- Axel Hartmann, Product- and synthesizer designer (Matrixbrute, 20, Blofeld, Microbrute, Moog Phatty, and more)
- Dorit Chrysler, Thereminist, composer, producer, and singer. Co-founder of the New York Theremin Society and America's first school for the theremin.
- Native Instruments: Gösta Wellmer, Head of UI Design at Native Instruments and others.
- DiViNCi, Producer, and artist.
- Skinnerbox, Electronic music makers, and software designers.
- Teenage Engineering, CEO Jesper Kouthoofd
- Propellerhead Software
- Synthstrom Audible
- Sonic Geometry
- Make Noise
- ... and many others